Friday, December 10, 2010

Otto's Motto

 Xmas is right around the corner.  And with it all the fun holiday parties.  Despite the fact that I have a non-religious, but still Jewish boyfriend on my hands, I do get into the holiday spirit.  So decided to play old fashioned and bake something as a thank you present to the hosts for inviting, and giving me free eggnog.

 After searching online for the perfect recipe, in my head I already started seeing the drama that might go down in the kitchen.  I quickly changed my mind.  Why bake something, when you can buy pretty much anything fresh?  Groundbreaking!  With this mentality I'm never going to learn cooking.

 As I mentioned in a previous blog before, the Hungarian treat for Xmas is Poppy seed/Walnut roll.  Which is way too hard to make on my own, knowing the fact that I can't even make waffles.  But thanks for a great local Hungarian store, there's no need for any culinary talent to have a taste tonight. 
Otto's is amazing.  I'm not sure who started it or how long it has been there.  I simply don't care.  They have everything a Hungarian's belly might desire in a time of need, or when lazy like me.  They collection of import food products is highly impressive.  From fresh meats, and old school chocolates to handmade soup pasta and goose liver paste they pretty much carry anything.  The place being tiny feels a little overstocked, which kind of adds to its original old school Hungarian feel.  All the available space is used up, with an occasional handmade extra shelf added.  Stuffed with cookbooks and even a Hungarian/English dictionary.  On your way out you can even pick up the latest Hungarian magazines or crossword puzzle.  Naturally I went crazy and got all kinds of stuff.  Here some of my favorites in pictures.



Trying to decide what to buy.  You better get a little bit of everything just to be on the safe side.


"Dear Santa, this year I've been a very good girl.  For ideas on what to bring me please see attached picture above."

 
I know, i know!  Kinder is a German product.  But come on, they have Duna kavics (colored candy coated peanuts)!!!!!!!!!!  And Sport szelet (a super retro Hungarian treat)!  Ahhhhhh!


Fonott kalács (twisted bread), tepertős pogácsa (which you should all know about by now, as I have written about it before, and if you don't, it means you don't read my blog, so screw you), and MAKOS BEIGLI!!!!!  Woooohooooo!

According to the guy working there, they run out of the Poppy seed/Walnut rolls very quickly especially around this time of the year.  And every 4 hours they have freshly made ones delivered.  From where?  I didn't ask.  But I have a feeling some old Hungarian lady is busy baking away at her house around the corner.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment